As we approach the end of another year, many of us look back and reflect on how the year has gone and what we'd like to differently. Health is often a big resolution, although I try to steer away from using that word. Jake O’Callaghan did a guest post for LifeOptimizer.org listing 20 Simple but Powerful Life Changes. It is certainly worth a read. Here are some changes that I've made in my life that have made a difference for me:
- Wake Early - while I was never an early riser, I find that first thing in the morning is the best time for me to get a workout in. Traffic is lighter first thing in the morning in my neighborhood and its a great time for me to exercise.
- Move - whether it is running or swimming or just walking around your block a few times each day, move your body 3-4 times a week. Your body will thank you.
- Drink Water - this one is harder for me, as I really like my diet soda, but I have cut back and will continue to do so more in the coming year.
- Make a Game of It - when I decided to start running, it wasn't easy to always stay motivated. Then I started tracking my time and distance and made a contest of trying to make little improvements. Each week I tried to improve upon the week before. Sites like Runkeeper and Earndit help keep you motivated and with Earndit, you get discounts on stuff just by moving your body. Check it out.
- Enjoy - make sure you take the time to enjoy life. Don't let your schedule rule you and if you have a busy schedule, carve out time on your calendar to do what you need to do.